This is the astonishing moment a brave guard dog took on the world’s largest land predator — the polar bear — and won by scaring the fearsome animal away.
The incredible scene took place in Churchill, Manitoba, in the Canadian Arctic, and was captured on camera by Italian photographer Alberto Panizza who was visiting the area.
We see the huge bear approaching the dog, who works pulling sleds through the snow in Churchill. But rather than cringe in fear (the dog couldn’t run if he wanted to because he was chained), the fearless canine stood his ground by baring its teeth and growling right in the polar bear’s rather startled face.
Now, in fairness, the bear seemed to be approaching the dog out of curiosity, rather than viewing him as a meal, but it nevertheless was forced to make a retreat from the feisty dog and trot away into the wilderness.
Photographer Alberto Panizza revealed that the dog went into survival mode when he saw the bear approaching. He added that the dog’s owner, a local breeder, told him that his dogs are the strongest in the world.
1. The curious polar bear approaches the guard dog, who is on a chain, and seems to want to make acquaintances with the smaller animal.
2. But sensing danger, the dog stands up to the huge bear and goes into a startled frenzy in a bid to scare it away.
3. The dog, whose job it is to pull sleds through the snow in Churchill, Canada, continues to try and scare off the animal.
4. Despite their differences in size, the dog continues to stand its ground rather than running away from the bear in fear.
Mr. Panizza said:
The dogs live not far from a town where polar bears often pass through. This one seemed to be curious and even though much bigger it was eager to make acquaintances with the dogs.
Even if they are trained to fight bears, the dogs usually seem afraid. But either due to their survival instinct, or pure madness, they sometimes throw themselves at the wild giants like this one did.
What a scene…
5. The dog begins to bare its teeth as well as barking and growling.
6. The polar bear gets closer and the two animals square up to each other.
7. The dog’s owner claims that he breeds the strongest dogs in the world and they sometimes do throw themselves at the bears to scare them off.
8. Rather than stay and face the frenzied dog, the polar bear is forced to make a retreat and trudges away into the distance.
9. The moment the dog took on the bear was captured on camera by Italian photographer Alberto Panizza, who visited Canada last month.
Source: The Daily Mail.
Share this incredible stare-down with your friends and tell us what you make of it in the comments below.