To say that this leopard got more than she bargained for when she tried to catch and eat a honey badger would be an understatement. The cat had her paws full with the feisty little beast and was eventually forced to abandon her hunt after receiving some injuries and try her luck elsewhere.
The incredible scene was captured for us by Vincent Grafhorst — a Dutch wildlife photographer — in Botswana, Africa. The leopard saw the badger from a distance and managed to get inside its burrow, grab hold of it and drag it outside for what seemed to be an easy meal. But the badger had other ideas and managed to get free thanks to its loose skin. Then the ferocious little guy turned on its attacker and scored some bites and scratches of its own. The photographer explained what he saw:
All of a sudden the leopard stood still as she noticed a honey badger foraging, a mere 20-30 meters away from her. The badger noticed her and the leopard charged, it disappeared into the nearest burrow for safety but the leopard dragged it out with its head in her jaws. A ferocious, super fast fight was what followed.Badgers have thick skin which is also very loose and allows them to twist inside their skin when grabbed and are also armed with a dangerous set of teeth as well as enormous claws.
The badger did not seem injured but the leopard clearly was. It lay down at the same spot where the fight happened and began licking the wounds on both of her legs for many minutes, before she moved on. She was taken by surprise that her intended prey fought back and hurt her seriously, it was clear she had no idea what she was getting herself into. Neither myself or our experienced guide have ever seen such an altercation, it was a very rare moment.
Incredible as the story seems, it is certainly not unique. In fact, regular readers may recall an even more astonishing one when a honey badger took on no fewer than FOUR lions and won! (Scroll down for a related video.)
1. An unlucky leopard got more than it bargained for after trying to catch and eat a honey badger in Botswana, Africa.
2. Captured on camera by Dutch wildlife photographer, Vincent Grafhorst, 40, in Botswana, Africa, the leopard decided to give up on its lunch after receiving some nasty injuries.
3. ‘The badger did not seem injured but the leopard clearly was,’ said the photographer who chronicled the savage battle.
4. The two combatants bare their teeth during a lull in the frenzied fight. Neither the photographer nor his guide had ever seen a fight like it.
5. The honey badger was able to get free thanks to its loose skin, which allows it to twist and escape the grasp of predators.
6. The honey badger latches onto the leopard’s jaw.
7. ‘She was taken by surprise that her intended prey fought back and hurt her seriously, it was clear she had no idea what she was getting herself into’.
8. The leopard is left to rue its failure — and lick its wounds — after the honey badger fought it off.
And here is a video of a mongoose taking on four lions:
Source: The Mail Online.
Share this incredible story with your friends below — they will want to see that.