Todd Fassler almost died when he tried to take a selfie with a rattlesnake he picked up in some brush in Southern California.
It should not come as a huge surprise that the snake didn’t like the treatment and bit the San Diego man.
In their efforts to treat the horrific wound on the victim’s arm, doctors exhausted the anti-venom stock at two separate Southern California hospitals. (Scroll down for the videos.)
1. Fassler suffered a horrific wound, pictured, to his arm after trying to take a selfie with the rattlesnake.
2. Todd Fassler is pictured giving an interview about his rattlesnake experience to ABC 10.
The combined hospital bill for Fassler’s treatment amounted to a grand total of $153,161.25. Evidently, anti-venom does not come on the cheap, with $83,341.25 of the total covering pharmacy costs.
It is unknown whether Fassler has insurance or if he will have to pay the full amount out of his own pocket.
Fassler has reportedly kept his own pet rattlesnake for more than a year, which begs the question why he had to take a selfie with a rattlesnake in the wild.
3. A screengrab from ABC 10 shows the huge medical bill that Todd Fassler must pay.
4. The victim filmed himself in the hospital.
Since the incident, Fassler has released a video claiming to show him setting his pet rattlesnake free because “he thinks animal services would appreciate it”.
According to The Centers for Disease Control, up to 8,000 people are bitten by venomous snakes in the U.S. every year. Five or six of them die.
Anti-venom costs more than $2,000 per vial in the U.S. and a single dose can be four to six vials, though administering more of it is not uncommon in cases of severe bites.
5. Following the incident, Fassler has set his pet rattlesnake free because “he thinks animal services would appreciate it”.
Read more: ABC 10.
Share this story with your friends and your thoughts in the comments below. Retweet it to your Twitter followers — they would want to read that, too.