This May Turn You Off Sushi Forever. A Man’s Entire Body Is Infested With Tapeworm After Gorging On Sashimi.

This story might have been taken straight out of a horror movie. The scans below have captured the gruesome images of a Chinese man’s body riddled with tapeworm after he ate too much sashimi — raw slices of fish.

The unnamed man went to his doctor complaining of stomach ache and itchy skin and the scans discovered the horrific source of his discomfort. He is being treated at the Guangzhou No. 8 People’s Hospital in Guangdong Province, in eastern China.

Research has confirmed that eating raw or undercooked fish can lead to various parasitic infections, such as this one. Tapeworm infections take place after a person ingests the larvae of diphyllobothrium, which found in freshwater fish such as salmon, however marinated and smoked fish can also transmit the worm. Improved sanitation helps, but such cases have been on the increase in more developed countries as well and doctors believe that the soaring popularity of sushi is the culprit. Study author Nancy Craig wrote:

The widespread popularity of Japanese sushi and sashimi (slices of raw fish) is a contributor. But other popular dishes might also be implicated, such as raw salted or marinated fillets — which originate from Baltic and Scandinavian countries — carpaccio — very thin slices of raw fish common in Italy, raw salmon and ceviche — lightly marinated fish.

Dr. Yin, of Guangzhou No. 8 People’s Hospital where the infected man is being treated, told the website that’smags.com that eating uncooked food that is contaminated with tapeworms’ eggs can cause cysticercosis, when the adult worms enters a person’s blood stream. Once it reaches the brain, this type of infection becomes life-threatening. (Scroll down for the video.

1. One man’s love of sashimi nearly killed him after it led to his body becoming riddled with tapeworm.

This May Turn You Off Sushi Forever. A Man's Entire Body Is Infested With Tapeworm After Gorging On Sashimi.

2. The Chinese man had seen his doctor complaining of stomach ache and itchy skin. Scans revealed his entire body had been infected with tapeworm parasites after eating too much sashimi — raw slices of fish.

This May Turn You Off Sushi Forever. A Man's Entire Body Is Infested With Tapeworm After Gorging On Sashimi.

3.Research has shown that eating raw or undercooked fish can lead to a variety of parasitic infections.

This May Turn You Off Sushi Forever. A Man's Entire Body Is Infested With Tapeworm After Gorging On Sashimi.

4. Eating uncooked food contaminated with tapeworms’ eggs could eventually cause cysticercosis, when the adult worms enters a person’s blood stream — and can be fatal.

This May Turn You Off Sushi Forever. A Man's Entire Body Is Infested With Tapeworm After Gorging On Sashimi.

And here is a video of an investigation into tapeworms:

Source: The Mail Online.

Share this gruesome story with your friends below — they will want to know, especially the sushi lovers among them.