The death of the young boy who was found already dead in a swing being pushed by his mother in May has been ruled a homicide.
Police in Maryland said on Tuesday that three-year-old Ji’Aire Lee died from dehydration and hypothermia after he was placed in the swing on May 20 and found by officers two days later.
The boy’s mother Romechia Simms has not been charged with murder pending the conclusion of the investigation by the office of the state’s attorney, according to NBC Washington. (Scroll down for the video.)
1. Three-year-old Ji’Aire Lee, whose body was found in a swing being pushed by his mother in May.
2. Ji’Aire is pictured as a baby with his mother Romechia Simms, who suffers from mental illness.
3. The mother and her young son were found in this playground in La Plata, Maryland, six weeks ago.
The mother and son were found by Charles County sheriff’s deputies at Wills Memorial Park in La Plata, Maryland, after a neighbor who had seen them the night before became concerned and called the police.
Simms suffers from depression and bipolor disorder. Her mother, Vontasha Simms, 47, said that she had “some kind of psychotic episode” in the park.
The mother had also had a mental breakdown in February and does not remember what took place in the park at the time of her son’s death, family members told The Washington Post.
At Ji’Aire’s funeral, Simms — who had been hospitalized for four days following his death — sang “This Little Light of Mine” along with the boy’s father, James “Donnell” Lee and other mourners.
4. Romechia Simms, seen in a social media picture, has not been charged with murder pending the conclusion of the investigation.
5. Ji’Aire’s father James Lee, who had filed for custody of his son in March over fears for Simms’s mental health.
Lee, who lives in Washington DC, had filed for custody of Ji’Aire in March, because he was worried about Simms’s mental health and thought she needed to get help, The Washington Post reports.
However, the judge deemed Simms a fit parent and the parents eventually agreed to share custody, with Lee having his son on the weekends while Simms having him during the week.
Then, just eleven days later, the boy was found dead.
6. A mother is found pushing her dead three-year-old son in a swing at a La Plata park — an ABCWJLA report.
Share this story with your friends and your thoughts in the comments below. Retweet it to your Twitter followers — they would want to read that, too.