After her husband passed away from lung cancer, leaving his children devastated, one Canadian woman found a way to keep his spirit alive — she made pillows out of his clothes.
Using her late spouse’s flannel shirts, the unnamed mother created memorial pillows, before attaching heartfelt notes “from Dad” to them. She then gave one to each of her two children as gifts on Christmas Day. Written on brown paper by the woman’s sister-in-law and sewn onto the pillow with a piece of string, one of the notes reads:
This is a shirt I used to wear. And when you hold it I’ll be there. Love Dad xoxo.
On Monday, one of the woman’s children posted a photo of his or her pillow to Reddit, saying:
My father passed away from lung cancer in July. Mom had these gifts made for me and my brother.
1. A Canadian mother created this memorial pillow from her late husband’s flannel shirt. She then fixed a note to it, reading: ‘This is a shirt I used to wear. And when you hold it I’ll be there. Love Dad xoxo’.
2. The mother gave the pillows to her two children on Christmas Day. Above, her late husband is seen donning one of his favorite flannel shirts, which was sewn into a pillow after his death from cancer (below).
3. The blue-and-yellow flannel shirt is seen transformed into a memorial pillow for the children.
4. On Monday, one of the children posted a photo of their pillow to Reddit. It was later shared on Parentdish Canada’s Facebook page, where it was deemed ‘sweet’ and ‘creative’ by many users (pictured).
The Reddit user who shared the image, known only as Velaniswin, later uploaded another image — of his or her brother’s pillow — as well as a photo of their father wearing the same flannel shirt that was used to create the keepsake.
The image of the first pillow, which Velaniswin said was “the best gift I’ve ever received”, was then shared on Parentdish Canada’s Facebook page and it has been “liked” more than 166,000 times.
One user — Audrey Puntureri Phillips, from Pennsylvania — wrote:
My mouth fell open when I saw this! How incredibly thoughtful, exceptionally sweet, and very creative besides!!
Users also shared their own images of things, like bears, blankets and quilts, that have been made from a passed loved one’s clothes. They have dubbed the practice “upcycling”.
5. Users also shared their own photos of memorial objects that have been crafted from passed loved one’s clothes. Above, Jodie Keast made this pillow from her late daughter’s T-shirt.
6. She captioned the touching image: ‘My daughters favorite tshirt. I sleep with it every night’.
7. Ashley Albers shared an image of bear and pillow made out of her passed father’s T-shirt and jacket.
8. Alongside the above image, Ms. Albers wrote: ‘My dad passed away 11 years ago.’My mom just recently got this bear and pillow made completely of his clothes! Even the eyes of the bear are from his Jean jacket’.
9. These carefully-crafted pillows were also made out of late fathers’ clothes by creative relatives.
10. Rachel Sweeney, from Belfast, UK, shared this picture of colorful teddy bears lined up on a bed.
11. Alongside the picture, uploaded to Parendish Canada’s Facebook page, Ms. Sweeney wrote: ‘My dad passed away in May this year and my sister is law got us all teddy bears made out of his pyjamas’.
12. Sharon Shazza Morris uploaded this picture of a stuffed brown teddy bear (left), alongside the caption: ‘My dad passed 7 years ago, I recently made this little bear from his jacket. Right, another memorial bear.
Share this story with your friends and your thoughts in the comments below. Please retweet it to your Twitter followers — they would want to read that, too.