A young woman went blind less than 24 hours after taking part in a mud run in Texas.
Brittany Williams, of Dallas, Texas, competed into a mud race two weeks ago and woke up on the following day to discover that the whole room was white.
She soon learned that flesh-eating bacteria had entered into her left eye and melted the cornea, leaving her blind in that eye. (Scroll down for the video.)
1. Brittany Williams (pictured with her daughter) lost sight in her eye less than 24 hours after competing in a mud run two weeks ago.
Brittany described the experience to CBS Dallas:
My eye started hurting, like maybe I’ve got mud or some debris in there.
When I opened my eye, it was just like white. The whole room was white.
Brittany, who works at two places to support herself and her daughter, drove to the hospital for treatment and that’s when things became even worse. As she lacked health insurance, doctors told her, she would have to pay $100,000.
2. Williams (pictured after the surgery) later learned that she had cut her eye and flesh-eating bacteria had made its way in and melted her cornea.
3. Brittany spent a week in the hospital being treated and left with a $100,000 bill, as she does not have health insurance, and her eye may never heal.
Brittany, who spent a whole week in the hospital, explained:
I’ve had health insurance before and I never used it.
I never went to the doctor and I just spent lots of money for nothing. So I didn’t see the point at the time when we couldn’t afford it.
And if that wasn’t enough, every single doctor she has contacted has refused to treat her. Speaking of her predicament, Brittany said:
You don’t think you’re going to go to the doctor and someone’s gonna say you owe $3,000 for eye drops.
4. When Brittany (pictured with her fiance Rob at the mud run) went for her follow-up appointment on Tuesday, the doctor refused to see her because of her bill and the money she owed.
5. Brittany is trying to stay optimistic however, and a GoFundMe page has been created to raise money for her medical expenses.
Then on Tuesday things got even worse. Brittany’s fiancé Rob wrote on a GoFundMe page they had set up to help cover the medical expenses that she was turned away at a follow-up appointment. He wrote:
Another rough day for Brit everyone.
We were scheduled for a follow up and deep tissue biopsy / culture early this morning. Before getting fully checked in or seeing any of her team members, we were asked to leave and told we could no longer be treated within their facility secondary to lack of insurance and full payment.
Incredibly, despite the fact that she has no doctor and is relying on old antibiotics, Brittany remains positive and is hoping that something might yet be done to save her eye. She said:
Even though people go through horrible things, I make the best of it. Because there’s no point in sitting and sulking, because it’s just going to make the rest of my days miserable.
6. Dirty and dangerous: A woman loses sight in one eye after a mud run — a CBS report.
Share this story with your friends and your thoughts in the comments below. Retweet it to your Twitter followers — they would want to read that, too.