Many, if not all, of us are prone to nostalgic longing for a seemingly more pleasant (or at least more romantic) past, for a more exotic world. Of course, in reality our perception of the past has little in common with the past itself, but then, why let reality ruin a perfect dream?
Anyway, photographer Jason Lindsey┬áis giving us another taste of this nostalgic feeling with his breathtaking images exploring rural life in Montana’s Paradise Valley — a small community just north of Yellowstone National Park.
Mr. Lindsey’s fascinating photos have captured the life of the farmers and ranchers making a living in Paradise valley and the mountains surrounding it and the images are simply astonishing. He told Wonderful Machine:
I was reminded of what a great thing it is to do something you are passionate about. The ranchers I photographed are all so passionate about the life they live. It’s very nice to be around passionate people.
It was a true pleasure meeting all these amazing people that let me into their lives for a few minutes to a few hours.
As a photographer and director, I use this experience to tell honest, inviting stories. I create the backdrop for the story and then I provide the simple direction that lets that story unfold, capturing real moments and emotions that pull viewers into the shot.
He’s done a marvelous job at it…
1. A rancher takes a drag on a cigarette with the rolling Montana landscape behind him.
2. The sun streams across a corral as a wrangler leads his horse towards a barn.
3. A rusting Montana license plate, that shows the outline of the state, is nailed to a wall.
4. Rows of stirrups hang against the wooden side of a Montana barn.
5. Horses gallop towards Jason Lindsey’s camera as the photographer captures the wild beauty of Montana.
6. The piercing blue eyes of a cowboy stand out in this portrait taken by Lindsey.
7. Lindsey was captivated by the people living in Montana’s Paradise Valley.
8. Lindsey says his affection for ‘salt of the earth’ people comes from growing up in a small farm town.
9. A Montana rancher, pitchfork in hand, takes a break from his work.
10. Two wranglers gallop across a ridge under Montana’s famed big sky.
11. A working dog looks poised and alert as it watches the world pass by on the farm.
12. Lindsey’s portraits capture rural life in Paradise Valley.
13. A rancher drinks from a shot glass as he takes a rest from a long day on the farm.
14. A resident of Paradise Valley smiles broadly as Lindsey takes his photograph.
15. A cowboy saddles up his horse in the low light of the Montana sky.
16. The sun warms the back of a row of horses as they stand in a corral.
17. The warm glow of lights shine in a cabin as snow settles on a tree-covered mountain.
18. An animal skull and horse shoes hang on the outside of a farm building in Paradise Valley.
19. The tools of a cowboy’s trade hang from horse-shoe shaped hooks on a rustic wall.
20. Lindsey’s photos capture the beauty and soft light of Montana’s rural regions.
21. License plates from Montana, Colorado and Arizona adorn a wall.
22. A horse grazes in a meadow as a blizzard whips around it.
23. A rancher with a snow-white mustache smiles while leaning against a wall.
24. A holly wreath hangs on the door of a barn sat next to a winding mountain road.
25. Two women sit on their horses as the long grass of Montana’s plains waves in the breeze.
26. Lindsey has produced a series of compelling portraits of those living in Montana’s valleys.
27. Lindsey photography.
28. A horse gazes peacefully into the distance from its Montana meadow.
29. Ranch hands hold their horses on a rain-soaked driveway.
30. Antlers fixed to the outside of a building are dusted with snow as a flurry falls on Paradise Valley.
Source: Wonderful Machine.
Share Jason Lindsey’s breathtaking photos of this peaceful Montana valley with your friends below — they will be enchanted by them.