After finding herself spending a lot of her time answering strangers’ questions about her two-year-old twin girls Delphine and Cheska, Annie Nolan devised a novel plan to fend put an end to the tiresome inquiries.
Nolan, a 26-year-old blogger, who’s been fielding a wide range of questions on a daily basis, wrote the answers to a list of “frequently asked questions” on two signs for each of her twins to hold.
She then took a picture of her two children in their baby carriage, holding the signs and shared the images on her blog’s Facebook page. Nolan couldn’t possibly have imagined the incredible response she received from parents of twins all around the world.
1. 26-year-old mom Annie Nolan came up with a cheeky way to preempt the questions that she is asked on a daily basis about her twin daughters Cheska and Delphine.
One of the signs reads:
Yes, they are mine. Yes, they are twins. Yes, both girls. No, not identical. Yes, I know they look alike though. Yes, I’m sure they aren’t identical.
The other sign reads:
Conceived by f***ing. Born via c-section. You have twins in your family? *great*. They don’t run in my family… until now. Yes, my hands are full (sometimes with two glasses of wine just to get through). Yes, triplets would be harder.
Nolan wrote in the caption that accompanied the images on Facebook:
I really wanted to leave these signs on the pram today. As a twin mum, you get asked a series of questions / hear a series of statements everytime you go out.
2. Annie runs the blog Uncanny Annie and is a stay-at-home mom, looking after her son Malachy, 4, and her two-year-old twins Cheska and Delphine.
3. Annie said that she is stopped on a daily basis by strangers wanting to ask questions about her daughters.
I know most people are coming from a great place and are just curious however many can be quite intrusive and after a while it’s just plain exhausting.
And since I was heading into the city, I knew the questions would be coming thick and fast… but I chickened out on the train and took them off! P.S- it is a joke people.
Nolan, who blogs on Uncanny Annie, explained that she came up with the idea for the signs after an evening of joking with other “twin mums” about the number of times they were asked the exact same questions.
4. Annie and her partner, AFL player Liam Picken, have three children together.
5. The mother-of-three said that she and her partner, Liam Picken, haven’t ruled out having more children.
Nolan’s Facebook post received more than two million views in just the fist two days, which its author admits shocked her. She said:
I genuinely did not think it would be so popular, I just posted it as a joke for my four friends. I’m just little old Annie from Melbourne.
I do think that it’s in part because “twin parents” can relate. Most of the feedback I got was from parents saying “this is so true, this is exactly my life and the questions I get asked”.
I’m so glad that people responded to it because it was posted for a laugh and just to show the funny questions we face every day.
6. “I do think that it’s in part because ‘twin parents’ can relate. Most of the feedback I got was from parents saying ‘this is so true, this is exactly my life and the questions I get asked'”, Annie said.
7. Nolan runs the website and Instagram account for her blog Uncanny Annie.
The blogger has received some negative comments as well, which she says she didn’t expect. She said:
A few people have posted saying that I should be grateful that I have twins, or that what I was experiencing was a first world problem.
Other people are absolutely facing really awful situations and issues that are of course much graver than answering questions each day, but that doesn’t lessen the experience of people who have twins and what we go through every day.
I’ll be up at the supermarket and get asked questions looking awful with crusty weetbix in my hair with my twins trying to bite and pull things off shelves, and I suppose I’m trying to say that we don’t go through nothing.
Despite the frustrations with all the questions, Nolan says that she and her partner Liam Picken haven’t ruled out having more children.
Read more: Uncanny Annie.
Share this story with your friends and your thoughts in the comments below. Retweet it to your Twitter followers — they would want to read that, too.