Someone has had the huge fortune of being chosen as a neighbor by a pair of hummingbirds, which had built their nest by her front door.
Naturally, she immediately launched herself on a National Geographic-type project: observe the tiny birds’ daily lives and document their every action for the benefit of the rest of humanity.
And what she saw is simply amazing. The hummingbird pair gave birth to a lovely couple of infinitesimal, but infinitely captivating chicks, which brought a lot of joy to their parents and neighbor… And now you can share in their experience as well.
2. Sorry, I was being dive bombed by the mother defending her nest, so no banana’s for size. Instead I give you a quarter. The nest is about the size of a ping pong ball.
3. They hatched.
4. Day 3 or 4.
5. Day 6 or 7.
6. We left town for a week and this was what we found when we got back. (About 2 weeks old).
7. When we got back, the mom had stopped sitting on the nest. There really wasn’t room for all three of them.
8. 2.5 weeks old. It’s been raining out for a few days.
9. That’s our front door in the background. Every time we walked out we were eye to eye with the nest.
10. About 3 weeks old.
11. Stretching their legs.
12. About 3.5 weeks old. This is about 2 minutes before they flew away for the last time.
13. Out of the nest for good.
14. Empty and sad.
So we’ve now come full circle and are back where we started. Well, not quite, for we do have a couple of healthy cute hummingbirds to bring smiles to our faces.
Oh, and you absolutely must see this baby hummingbird pooping video, which this incredibly talented author has produced for us. Here it is:
Share this masterful hummingbird reportage (and don’t forget the video!) with your friends below and bring smiles to their faces, too!
Following are our most viral videos for the past month — have fun!