An abandoned dog has been named Hero for rescuing ten newborn puppies and their weak mother and saving their lives. He kept barking to get the attention of humans passing by, before leading them to the dogs’ location.
Hero is a Labrador mix who had previously spent weeks evading staff of Dallas Dogrrr-Rescue, Rehab, Reform in Texas, who were attempting to rescue him from the park in south Dallas where he was living.
But one night Hero greeted two rescuers with loud barking. Every time they got closer to the dog, he moved backward and kept barking.
2. This abandoned dog (left) saved the lives of ten sick, newborn puppies and their weak mother after incessantly barking to alert passersby and leading them to the dogs’ location under a burned-out tree (right).
3. Under the tree in Dallas, Texas, rescuer Marina Tarashevsce and dog behaviorist John Miller discovered the litter of ten, shivering puppies and their exhausted mother (pictured), who has since been named Mona.
4. Five days on, the 11 rescued dogs (pictured being cared for by Dogrrr-Rescue, Rehab, Reform) are in a warm and loving foster home. They have been joined by Hero himself, who remains by their side.
5. Speaking to ‘Fox and Friends Weekend’ on Sunday, Ms. Tarashevsce (pictured with Hero) said she and Mr. Miller were greeted by a ‘loud barking’ when they walked across the park to retrieve black-furred Hero.
6. ‘When I got there in the evening, Hero was barking really loudly,’ Ms. Tarashevse (pictured, right, with Hero before their TV appearance) told the program. Left, Mr. Miller with another dog.
7. Ms. Tarashevsce said that she had often seen Hero with Mona, whom she suspected to be pregnant, in recent weeks, so she assumed that something must be wrong with the expectant mother. ‘I had suspected that she was pregnant, so that’s why I followed him… He led us to a creek by the woods,’ she said. Below, the woods.
8. The rescue worker, also an animal rights activist, added: ‘I still can’t believe it, that he actually led me to the puppies. But I’m so thankful because we wouldn’t have found them otherwise.’ Below, the pups.
9. Mr. Miller lifts one of the newborn puppies from under the tree and into a bag to be taken to shelter.
10. Dogrrr-Rescue will search for homes for the puppies once they are weaned from their mother.
Following are our most viral videos for the past month — have fun!