A man with a child sitting in the back of his minivan pulled over and launched into a profanity-laden tirade at a bicyclist who slapped his car when he claimed the driver cut him off.
The bicyclist recorded the ugly scene with the camera he was wearing on his helmet while cycling through the streets of San Francisco and shared the footage on YouTube.
The clip begins with the bicyclist and the Toyota minivan traveling side by side. Then the car is seen cutting the bicyclist off and pulling up in front of him, as it turns into a parking lot. The minivan makes contact with the cyclist, who slaps it with his hand. (Scroll down for the video.)
1. A driver with a child in his minivan stopped his car and spewed profanities at a bicyclist who slapped the car when he claimed the driver cut him off.
As the minivan pulls up right in front of the cyclist, the driver is heard saying:
Hey, watch it. What the f***?
The bicyclist shared his video on Reddit where he explained that the driver had “plenty of time” to see that they were going at about “the same speed”, yet he still decided to make the turn. The bicyclist, who goes by agentx85b on Reddit, wrote:
I made impact before we even came to a complete stop. Then I slapped the rear window in an emotionally charged outburst after we had come to a complete stop.
2. ‘I had thought the guy saw me, since he was right next to me for awhile, and was slowing down to let me go past,’ the bicyclist wrote.’Then he slammed on his brakes and got right in front of me.’
The bicyclist added that the front tire of his bike hit the rear of the minivan during the impact. The driver then pulled up in front of the entrance to a parking lot, stopped his car and got out of his car, yelling profanities. He can be heard saying:
What the hell motherf***er, what’s your goddamn problem?
The cyclist responds that “you saw me the whole way, you were right next to me it’s all on camera” and the driver replies:
I don’t give a s***, you saw me making a f***ing signal, I didn’t run into you I passed your f***ing a**. You were way back there, bull*** motherf***er.
When the cyclist asks the driver to calm down and step away, the driver responds:
Then don’t be hitting my car, you hit my f***ing car jacka**.
3. The bicyclist said he hit his front brake as hard as he could and went over the handlebars ‘a bit’. He said he then slapped the rear window ‘in an emotionally charged outburst’.
The driver then asks the bicyclist “how do you like this?” and kicks his bike twice. The bicyclist wrote on Reddit that the driver was “ready to start throwing fists”, before he pointed at the camera on his helmet.
The bicyclist explains that he originally got the camera because of the disregard he felt drivers in San Francisco had for his safety on the road.
When Redditors wrote that it looked as though the bicyclist was further away then he first implied, agentx85b responded that this was due to the wide lens angle and the slowed down speed. He wrote:
I had thought the guy saw me, since he was right next to me for awhile, and was slowing down to let me go past,’ the bicyclist wrote.
Then he slammed on his brakes and got right in front of me. I hit my front brake as hard as I could and actually went over the handlebars a bit.
4. The driver yelled at the bicyclist: ‘You saw me making a f***ing signal, I didn’t run into you I passed your f***ing a**. You were way back there, bull**** motherf***er’.
5. The bicyclist told the driver to calm down and step away from his property. The driver responded ‘you hit my f***ing car jacka**’ and then asks the bicyclist ‘how do you like this?’ before kicking his bike twice.
To further support his point, the bicyclist added that he was able to slap the car with his hand, proving that the minivan was not at the legally required distance of three feet away from his bicycle.
According to California’s Department of Motor Vehicles, you cannot turn into the bike lane if there is a bicyclist on it.
The law also states that the required width for “safe bicycle passage” is three to four feet.
6. A driver cuts off a cyclist and then goes full road rage.
Share this story with your friends and your thoughts in the comments below. Please retweet it to your Twitter followers — they would want to see that, too.