Looks can be deceiving — we’ve all heard the aphorism, even as we may not have paid it much attention. Well, the images below will probably change all that — they did for me.
So, in the first image you will see a human transformed into a very realistic tarantula by body painter Emma Fay. The artist applied water-based paints onto the body of this ultra-flexible model to create the perception of a giant arachnid.
The 27-year-old artist spent five hours painting the fearsome creature, but her patience paid off. As you will see in the other images, she has also created a seahorse and a giraffe, among other things. She said:
This series of transformations is based on the marvels of the natural world.
The animals featured are both closely linked to evolution and have developed and changed over a long period of time.
First I ask the contortionist to get into the initial pose and mark out where they will be.
The contortionists can only hold the pose for a maximum of five-seconds so I have to work quickly to get it right.
Amazing work! (Scroll down for the video.)
1. Model Lowri Thomas is transformed into a human tarantula by body painter Emma Fay, who used water-based paints to turn the ultra-flexible model into the giant arachnid.
2. It took Emma five hours of intricate work to create the incredibly detailed creature, which can be seen on set.
3. Model Lowri Thomas seen part way ready in her tarantula transformation.
4. The Leicester-based artist, who has been body painting for three years, spends around five hours on each piece of work.
5. Beth Sykes poses as a giraffe — when this was posted online it went viral.
6. Beth Sykes poses as a seahorse, which Emma Fay says celebrates the marvels of the natural world.
7. Ms. Sykes, who is also a circus performer, acrobat, fire-eater and stilt-walker, can be seen perfecting her sea horse pose on set.
8. Emma Fay paints the body of model Beth Sykes as a seahorse, which can take hours.
And here is the video:
Via The Daily Mail.
Share this artist’s optical illusions with your friends below — they will be totally taken in and fascinated by them.