A YouTube star from California set out to learn what a homeless man would do with $100 and says that no one is more shocked with the result than he is.
Josh Paler Lin is known for his viral video pranks, which he uploads on YouTube, shared a video on Monday which begins with him handing a Los Angeles street beggar $100, then secretly following him with a camera to see what he does with the money.
When the man, known as Thomas walks right into a nearby liquor store, Paler Lin suspects that he’s got the result he had thought. But it turns out that Thomas actually went in the liquor store to buy food. Then he went straight to a park where other homeless people gather and shared the food. Paler Lin wrote on his YouTube page:
I wasn’t expecting to get this kind of footage… to be honest, I thought this video would be more an exposing homeless people video at first. But I’m so glad that I could witness and capture such a beautiful moment.
This has to be one of the most amazing experience so far on this channel. I did not only just help a homeless man, but I actually met an incredible human being and a friend. We were following him for a couple miles for almost an hour or so.
Thomas told the filmmaker that he had quit his job to look after his parents, but after they died, he couldn’t afford to pay for their condo and found himself on the street. Shocked by what happen, Paler Lin says he took Thomas out for dinner and put him up in a hotel for the night. He also gave him another $100 cash.
Paler Lin said:
The more I talk to him, the more I sense how genuine he is… I gave him my number and told him to call me when he needs help. Never judge a book by its cover. One love!
Paler Lin has also set up a fundraising page on Indiegogo for Thomas, where he hopes to raise $10,000 for him. It has already received more than $57,000 in donations.
1. YouTube star Josh Paler Lin (right) gives $100 cash to a homeless man in LA, with the intention of following the beggar afterwards.
2. The man begrudgingly accepts the money and says he is ‘tearing up’.
3. The man, identified only as Thomas, then walks into a Liquor Mart.
4. Thomas emerges with at least two black grocery bags.
5. Thomas then goes to hand out food he bought with the money to other homeless people.
6. The camera following Thomas show him handing food to a family.
7. Josh Paler Lin then approaches Thomas to reveal he has been followed.
8. Paler Lin says he was shocked at how the experiment turned out.
Share this story with your friends and your thoughts in the comments below. Please retweet it to your Twitter followers — they would want to see that, too.