When Her Friend Choked On A Sausage, This Girl Immediately Jumped To Save His Life. She Is FIVE!

A five-year-old girl has been hailed hero after her quick thinking helped to rescue her best friend from choking to death.

Emma Hayes was sitting with her four-year-old best friend Dexter Wilson in their primary school canteen, having a lunch of sausages and mash potato.

But during the meal, Dexter suddenly began to gasp for air after he choked on a piece of sausage which had become stuck in his throat.

1. Dexter Wilson (left) cuddles up to his best friend Emma Hayes (right), who saved his life when he was choking.

When Her Friend Choked On A Sausage, This Girl Immediately Jumped To Save His Life. She Is FIVE!

Remembering the techniques she had picked up from her older brothers, Emma immediately jumped into action, bent Dexter forward and started hitting his back.

Lunchtime supervisor Jodie Knighton, 45, quickly rushed to Dexter’s aid and between the two, they were able to dislodge the piece of meat.

Following the drama at Boughton Primary School, in Northampton, England, last Thursday, proud mother Stacey Phillips praised Emma’s efforts.

She said she believed her daughter may have picked up her life-saving skills from her eight-years-old twin older brothers.

2. Dexter, four, and Emma, five, were having lunch together when he started choking on his food.

When Her Friend Choked On A Sausage, This Girl Immediately Jumped To Save His Life. She Is FIVE!

Mrs. Phillips said:

One of her older brothers struggles with his food and has a nut allergy so she had probably seen one of them being patted on the back or doing abdominal thrusts.

I am very proud of her. She is lovely and I don’t think she realised the importance of what she did.

She was born on September 1, so is one of the oldest children in the year. I think she is very mature for her age.

3. Remembering techniques she learned from her older brothers, Emma began hitting Dexter’s back to save him.

When Her Friend Choked On A Sausage, This Girl Immediately Jumped To Save His Life. She Is FIVE!

Headteacher Paul Archer also praised Emma’s quick thinking and swift response in helping her friend. He said:

Emma has been rewarded with a special certificate and we are also planning to contact St John Ambulance to put her forward for a special first aid award.

It is pretty amazing for a five-year-old girl to save a life.

Pupils at the school do not normally learn first aid tips until years four, five and six.

Dexter was having trouble and choking but after he spat out the meat he was absolutely fine to continue on with his day.

Share this story with your friends and your thoughts in the comments below. Please retweet it to your Twitter — they would want to read that, too.