Reddit user Evilenglish has shared with us the amazing discovery he made while cleaning his grandparents’ house in rural Tennessee. Hidden under the floor of a closet he found a safe.
Naturally, Evilenglish wanted to open the safe, but the thing being what it is wasn’t making it easy on him. He tried a few combinations he could think of, including birthdays and social security numbers, but none of them worked. Finally, Evilenglish was forced to get a locksmith to help.
And sure enough, the safe did not disappoint. Our adventurer found a pile of boxes inside which were full of rolls of coins and bills. Unfortunately, a lot of the money locked up inside had suffered from water damage, caused by a pipe leakage some years earlier.
The coins, however, were protected, as were the silver bars piled inside. And underneath the money collection, Evilenglish found a rusty tool chest which was full of watches and jewelry.
Amazingly, Evilenglish and his brother later discovered another safe in the same house, this one hidden inside a coffee table. That one contained a collection of one-dollar bills known as “Barr notes”, which are rare, because the Secretary of State, Joseph W. Barr, held the position for only 29 days. The second safe also produced a number of pistols.
1. The closet door.
2. This dirty rug was to set the treasure hunt in motion.
3. Under the rug there was a strange, round cap.
4. Below the cap was the opening of a safe.
5. Tim the locksmith came to the rescue after Evilenglish tried, and failed, to unlock the safe.
6. The lock was removed and the safe could be opened.
7. The moment of truth.
8. What looked like a pile of bricks turned out to be boxes.
9. The safe was full of boxes and rolls of coins.
10. Evilenglish began unloading the safe, pulling out more and more coins and bills.
11. Then even more appeared.
12. Despite its small opening, the safe held quite a bit.
13. Sadly, a lot of the money inside had suffered from water damage due to a pipe breaking in the house some years earlier.
14. The moisture in the safe had damaged the covers, but the coins inside were protected.
15. There were silver coins.
16. And silver bars.
17. Under the money there was a rusty tool chest full of watches and jewelry.
Share this discovery with your friends and give us your thoughts in the comments below. Please retweet the story to your Twitter followers — they would want to see that, too.